Monday, February 25, 2008

Sewing 101

My apologies, dear readers, almost 2 months have passed since my last entry. It has been one hell of a 2008, not much time for writing.

But I have much to show for it – er, at least for the last week. Behold, my first sewing projects!




here is my lovely lovely new sewing basket. oooh.



and here is my sewing area:



this is the 2nd project i worked on. it will be a set of bibs for two friends. here's how i am doing it, step by step, as requested by sis.

first i cut out fabric and batting. i'm making the bibs funky by using fun fabrics on each side.


then i sewed a piece of fabric to the batting and did a quilting stitch on the front.

these are some of the fabrics i'm using.



here is my first mostly-completed bib! my model beary is sporting a bib with a green tie dyish pattern on one side and a funky yellow one on the other side.



beary shows off the reverse side:









on to the first project i started, which is ongoing - i'm making cloth napkins for work to encourage staff to use less paper products.



here you see squishy bear hanging out with my napkins:







they're ready to eat!

bffs.





the cats were totally exhausted by the end of it.




3 comments:

Dayna said...

so glad Jen sent me your blog. I was making bibs this week too! I was just going to post them this am. I don't think I realized that you were a crafter too! I look forward to seeing and reading more.

Audrey said...

i just learned to sew last week! i got a sewing machine for christmas but only recently have had the time to devote to it. and now i'm just plain obsessed. i am crossing my fingers that tonight's meeting will be cancelled so i can go home and work on the bibs some more!

i look forward to reading your blog too :) :)

Katie Dettman said...

Aud!
I love it! Especially "Aud's GIS corner." Good times. I will link to you on MY "blog" (which isn't so much a blog as it is an electronic portfolio: http://katherinedettman.blogspot.com). xoxo KD